Join us at Raymour & Flanigan® 939 Old York Road, Jenkintown, PA for a special
DOGGONE GOOD READERS PROGRAM
Saturday, May 5, 2018
Are you in grades 1-5? Would you like to read aloud to a registered therapy dog?
Sign up online by clicking on the time below for ONE of these reading sessions:
Questions? Please call the Abington Free Library Children’s Department at (215) 885-5180, ext. 28.
Welcome to Your Children’s Department
Serving children, families
and the community since 1966
We’re Here to Serve You
Need help finding children’s resources and activities? With 50+ years of combined knowledge, education and experience in children’s services, the Children’s Department staff is ready to serve you. We recognize that children have unique developmental, emotional and social needs. Our goal is to provide a safe yet stimulating environment to help children learn and grow.
Children’s Programs and Services
We are committed to developing early literacy skills in young children. Story times are offered several times a week for babies, toddlers and preschoolers. In addition, we host a Summer Reading Club for children in preschool through entering sixth grade. Other free programs offered throughout the year include book discussions, art workshops, family movie nights and science classes. Our popular Doggone Good Readers program gives children in grades 1-5 a chance to practice their reading skills by reading aloud to registered therapy dogs.
The Children’s Department offers a wide selection of print, digital and media materials. All of these resources may be checked out for free with a valid library card:
- Kindles for Kids (e-readers)
- Board books for babies and toddlers
- Picture books (including easy science, career, bilingual and language arts books)
- Easy readers and chapter books
- Kindles for Kids
- Graphic novels
- Nonfiction books
- Big books and themed story time kits for classroom sharing
- Parent-teacher books, audiobooks and DVDs
- Read-along book/CD sets
- Children’s movies (DVD and Blu-Ray)
- Children’s music CDs
- Playaway audiobooks and books on CD
- Playaway Launchpads (tablets containing educational games)
- Children’s e-books and e-audiobooks, available through our website
The Children’s Department provides a variety of outreach services to the Abington Township/Rockledge Borough community. These services include:
- Story times presented at nursery schools and day care centers
- Parent/teacher workshops to promote literacy and use of library resources
- School visits to promote summer reading
- Participation in community fairs and events
- Library visits and tours
|The Children’s Department welcomes the opportunity to partner with local community organizations. If you have a program suggestion, or would like our staff to visit your school or organization, please contact us at (215) 885-5180, ext. 28.|
Did you know that the Abington Free Library Children’s Department offers:
- Playaway Launchpads (tablets loaded with educational games for ages 3-10)
- A Play Center stocked with puzzles, games and building kits to encourage creative thinking and problem-solving
- Two preschool iPads, four Internet computers, two online catalog computers and a laptop for use during Library visits
- Story time kits on themes such as Colors, Community Helpers, Gardening and Planting, and Weather—perfect for your next class or program!
- Print and online reading lists (look for Children’s Book SnapShots on our website)
- Service learning opportunities for older children and teens
- Opportunities for community residents to develop and lead programs (fresh ideas are always welcome)
- Kindles for Kids (e-readers)
Use these online websites for fun and homework help.
|LearningExpress||Primary Search Main Edition|
|Libby or OverDrive - downloadable eBooks and Audiobooks||RBDigital - digital magazines|
|Middle School Student Research||Science Reference Center|
|Middle Search Main Edition||TumbleBooks
|Jessica gave a story time
to the Pre-K Class of
They sent her
thank you letters!
Click here to see all of them!
|(Photo right: Kennedy Garner used her favorite library where she could spread out on one of the many tables available, find the source materials from our large collection with the help of our librarians and piece together her poster in peace and quiet. Come, use our facilities for a guaranteed "A" – which we know Kennedy will receive for her poster!)|
Childrens Holiday Materials
- 4 items per holiday per card (excluding media items: DVDs, audiobooks and music CDs)
- No Renewals
- During the 30 days preceding a holiday: Items circulate for 1 week.
- During the rest of the year: Items circulate for 3 weeks.
SAFE CHILDREN POLICY
The Abington Township Public Libraries staff and Board of Trustees hope that children using our libraries will find them a warm and inviting place to be. The happiness and safety of young children left alone at the Library is a serious concern. Left on their own, they often become frightened or anxious. If left unattended for any length of time when no Library program is being offered, they often become bored, restless, and disruptive. Therefore, the following policy has been established:
Library staff members cannot assume responsibility for the care, safety, or well-being of children in the Library. Therefore, parent/caregivers may not leave children age ten or under unattended in the Libraries. Parents/caregivers are responsible for the behavior of their minor children while in the Library, whether the child is accompanied or unaccompanied by a parent/guardian.