Welcome to Your Children’s Department
We’re Here to Serve You
Need help finding children’s resources and activities? With 50+ years of combined knowledge, education and experience in children’s services, the Children’s Department staff is ready to serve you. We recognize that children have unique developmental, emotional and social needs. Our goal is to provide a safe yet stimulating environment to help children learn and grow.
|Click here for Resources for the School Year!|
Abington Township Public Library presents the
The theme for National Library Week (April 4-10, 2021), "Welcome to Your Library," promotes the idea that libraries extend far beyond the four walls of a building – and that everyone is welcome to use their services. During the pandemic libraries have been going above and beyond to adapt to our changing world by expanding their resources and continuing to meet the needs of their users.
Find out more here: http://www.abingtonfreelibrary.org/design-bookmark-exhibition
Parents: Looking for fun ways to keep your
children reading and learning at home?
Do you need books for your children and don't know what to pick? Let the library create a set based on their favorite subjects
Created by the Abington Township Public Libraries
- Abington Library Children's Librarian, Miss Jessica's YouTube story time playlist
- Story Time with Ms. Cathy from Roslyn Library! Ready for a bedtime story? Join Ms. Cathy — and some caterpillars — for an unusual end to the day!
- A lady meets a spider in a garden green … What happens next? Find out at Roslyn Library's story time with Ms. Cathy. https://youtu.be/xvNtLEt7PDE Check out other story times on the MontCo Libraries Stories & Activities YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMF6dzdXFhpIwRV6Hj_ntZyKmfa1ztLXS
- Author Andrea Denish from Abington Library
Visit Our Virtual Art Gallery
Art is alive and well at the Abington Township Public Libraries! Click here to see amazing artwork created by children ages 8-12 in our Virtual Art Workshops. Featured projects include kawaii monster drawings, dragon eyes painted on rocks, African masks, and winter fox paintings.
- Check out the Montco Libraries Stories & Activities YouTube Channel to view story time and activity videos by Montgomery County Library staff, including Abington Library Children's Librarian, Miss Jessica, Ms. Cathy from Roslyn Library, and Author Andrea Denish from Abington Library!
- Miss Jessica's YouTube story time playlist
- Story Time with Ms. Cathy from Roslyn Library! Ready for a bedtime story? Join Ms. Cathy — and some caterpillars — for an unusual end to the day: https://youtu.be/xvNtLEt7PDE …
- Children's Story Podcasts for Ages 2-12
- Julie Andrews and her daughter story times: Julie’s Library
- Jbrary Storytime Online Resources
- Wes Tank: Story Raps
- Storyline Online
- KidLit TV
- Make your own carnivorous plant crafts with these downloadable handouts from Mt. Cuba Center in Hockessin, DE
- Elmwood Park Zoo - click here for information
- Museum of the American Revolution. The virtual Museum of the American Revolution is always open, and it just got better! Explore our immersive galleries through 360–degree panoramic images, an audio tour, clickable elements, and additional enhancements that provide a more complete experience reminiscent of an on-site visit. AmRev is pleased to support the study of American History with this tour and by providing links to other virtual museums tours including George Washington’s Mount Vernon, Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello, and the New York Historical Society.
Authors & Illustrators
- Andrea Denish, Abington Free Library Children's Department staff member, reads her book Everyone Loves a Parade!*
- Operation Storytime- authors, illustrators, and celebrities reading books
- Pete the Cat Official Site
- Oliver Jeffers--Stay at Home Storytime on Instagram Live!
- Read, Wonder, and Learn! Compiled by author Kate Messner
- Lunch Doodles with Mo Willems!
- Authors Everywhere
- Debbie Ridpath Ohi – Author & Illustrator
Stimola Live is a website of live stream events for kids, tweens, and teens by professional authors and illustrators represented by Stimola Literary Studio.
Use these online websites for fun and homework help.
- hoopla: movies, television shows, music, eAudiobooks, eBooks, Comic Books and Graphic Novels.
- Kanopy: on-demand video streaming service
- Libby or OverDrive - downloadable eBooks and Audiobooks
- POWER Kids
- RBDigital - digital magazines
- Science Reference Center
- TrueFLIX - science and social studies films and help for 3-6 graders
- Children's Select Reads
- Bucks County Children's Museum:
- Parent at Home Resources
- Penn Museum Link for at home activities for kids, families and adults
- Woodmere Art Museum: Downloadable activities for children ages 5-11
- AWE Printable Worksheets
- Holiday House Publisher (activities and list of e-books)
- First Aid for Feelings: A Workbook to Help Kids Cope During the Coronavirus Pandemic
Denise Daniels, a leading child development expert, has teamed up with Scholastic and the Yale Child Study Center to help children, families, and educators cope during this pandemic. First Aid for Feelings: A Workbook to Help Kids Cope During the Coronavirus Pandemic is a free 16-page downloadable workbook available in English and Spanish. teacher.scholastic.com
Children’s Programs and Services
We are committed to developing early literacy skills in young children. Story times are offered several times a week for babies, toddlers and preschoolers. In addition, we host a Summer Reading Club for children in preschool through entering sixth grade. Other free programs offered throughout the year include book discussions, art workshops, family movie nights and science classes. Our popular Doggone Good Readers program gives children in grades 1-5 a chance to practice their reading skills by reading aloud to registered therapy dogs.
The Children’s Department offers a wide selection of print, digital and media materials. All of these resources may be checked out for free with a valid library card:
- Kindles for Kids (e-readers)
- Board books for babies and toddlers
- Picture books (including easy science, career, bilingual and language arts books)
- Easy readers and chapter books
- Graphic novels
- Nonfiction books
- Big books and themed story time kits for classroom sharing
- Read-along book/CD sets
- Children’s movies (DVD and Blu-Ray)
- Children’s music CDs
- Playaway audiobooks and books on CD
- Playaway Launchpads (tablets containing educational games)
- Children’s e-books and e-audiobooks, available through our website
The Children’s Department provides a variety of outreach services to the Abington Township/Rockledge Borough community. These services include:
- Story times presented at nursery schools and day care centers
- Parent/teacher workshops to promote literacy and use of library resources
- School visits to promote summer reading
- Participation in community fairs and events
- Library visits and tours
|The Children’s Department welcomes the opportunity to partner with local community organizations. If you have a program suggestion, or would like our staff to visit your school or organization, please contact us at (215) 885-5180, ext. 128.|
Did you know that the Abington Free Library Children’s Department offers:
- Playaway Launchpads (tablets loaded with educational games for ages 3-10)
- A Play Center stocked with puzzles, games and building kits to encourage creative thinking and problem-solving
- Two preschool iPads, four Internet computers, two online catalog computers and a laptop for use during Library visits
- Story time kits on themes such as Colors, Community Helpers, Gardening and Planting, and Weather—perfect for your next class or program!
- Print and online reading lists (look for Children’s Book SnapShots on our website)
- Service learning opportunities for older children and teens
- Opportunities for community residents to develop and lead programs (fresh ideas are always welcome)
- Kindles for Kids (e-readers)
|Jessica gave a story time
to the Pre-K Class of
They sent her
thank you letters!
Click here to see all of them!
|(Photo right: Kennedy Garner used her favorite library where she could spread out on one of the many tables available, find the source materials from our large collection with the help of our librarians and piece together her poster in peace and quiet. Come, use our facilities for a guaranteed "A" – which we know Kennedy will receive for her poster!)|
Children's Holiday Materials
- 5 items per holiday per card (excluding media items: DVDs, audiobooks and music CDs)
- No Renewals
- During the 30 days preceding a holiday: Items circulate for 1 week.
- During the rest of the year: Items circulate for 3 weeks.
SAFE CHILDREN POLICY
The Abington Township Public Libraries staff and Board of Trustees hope that children using our libraries will find them a warm and inviting place to be. The happiness and safety of young children left alone at the Library is a serious concern. Left on their own, they often become frightened or anxious. If left unattended for any length of time when no Library program is being offered, they often become bored, restless, and disruptive. Therefore, the following policy has been established:
Library staff members cannot assume responsibility for the care, safety, or well-being of children in the Library. Therefore, parent/caregivers may not leave children age 16 or under unattended in the Libraries. Parents/caregivers are responsible for the behavior of their minor children while in the Library, whether the child is accompanied or unaccompanied by a parent/guardian.
Upcoming Kids Events
|DIY Slime Take & Make||04/15/2021 - 9:30am to 9:30pm|
|Virtual Stitch and Chat||04/15/2021 - 11:00am to 11:45am|
|DIY Slime Take & Make||04/16/2021 - 9:30am to 9:30pm|
|DIY Slime Take & Make||04/17/2021 - 9:30am to 9:30pm|
|Virtual Stitch and Chat||04/22/2021 - 11:00am to 11:45am|
|Virtual Trivia Night||04/27/2021 - 7:00pm to 8:00pm|
|Virtual Stitch and Chat||04/29/2021 - 11:00am to 11:45am|
|Virtual - Pocket Poem Unmuted Mic Night!||04/29/2021 - 6:30pm to 7:30pm|
|Virtual Story Time with Miss Jessica via Zoom!||04/30/2021 - 10:30am to 11:00am|
|Virtual Art Workshops for Ages 8-12||05/04/2021 - 6:30pm to 7:30pm|
|Virtual Stitch and Chat||05/06/2021 - 11:00am to 11:45am|
|Virtual Story Time with Miss Jessica via Zoom!||05/07/2021 - 10:30am to 11:00am|
|Virtual Stitch and Chat||05/13/2021 - 11:00am to 11:45am|
|Virtual Story Time with Miss Jessica via Zoom!||05/14/2021 - 10:30am to 11:00am|
|Virtual Story Time with Miss Jessica via Zoom!||05/21/2021 - 10:30am to 11:00am|
|Virtual Trivia Night||05/26/2021 - 7:00pm to 8:00pm|
Share with friends: